This easy recipe is a delicious way to have your children try one of the seasons vegetables: Butternut Squash . In the same time this recipe can be a delicious appetizer or perfect accompaniment to soups.
- 1 Pastry sheet
* Size of Pastry sheet is : 10″ by 12″
- 2 cups finely shredded Butternut Squash
- 2 cups mixed frozen chopped kale & spinach
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans – optional
- 1/8 or 1/4 tsp salt according to your taste
Preparation & cooking directions
- Take out the pastry sheet from the freezer and leave it in room temperature for 20 minuets. This is the first thing you should do before you start preparing the other ingredients.
- Cut and peel one part of the Butternut Squash . Shred with the smaller side of the Box Grater until you have 2 cups of finely grated Butternut Squash .
- Mince cranberries and pecans.
- Mix well the ingredients. Spread the mixture evenly over the Pastry sheet leaving 1/2″ – 1″ around the borders . You can use a large butter knife or icing knife to spread the mixture.
- Rroll the pastry dough gently. Don’t apply pressure and don’t squeeze in order for the filling to don’t spill out on the sides.
Since you have a good amount of filling the roll may seem little big but that is ok since the pieces will be cut only 3/4″ inches.
- Holding gently the roll with your finger tips use a long sharp knife to cut straight down the roll in pieces of 3/4 ” size thickness.
Since the pastry dough was left only for 20 minuets in room temperature the pastry sheet was still cool to the touch and easy for me to cut into pieces. But if you find it hard to cut you can put it in the freezer for 15-20 minuets until the roll is little firmer and it is easier for you to cut in pieces.
- Put the pieces few inches apart on a baking pan covered with parchment paper as seen on the picture below. I used 2 baking pans since I had 14 pieces all together.
Bake in a 375 degrees preheated oven until golden brown . Take out and let them cool until is safe to touch.
Side note: Another variations to this recipe is by changing the filling with other ingredients like in the picture below: sauté in oil chopped onion with finely shredded Brussels sprouts. Add finely shredded butternut squash. You also can add some ground turkey. When you finish spreading the filing on the pastry sheet sprinkle over some of your favorite cheese. I sprinkled mozzarella cheese. Follow the rest of the above directions to finish the recipe.